People who care, working with people who care.

1. How do I find a suitable aged care home?

There are a few ways to discover what your options are for aged care. You can visit the
government aged care website and search for accredited homes in your desired postcodes. There are qualified aged care brokers or accredited aged care specialists who can carry out this function on your behalf.

2. What if I do not have enough money to go into aged care?

The government provides subsidies to aged care homes so that they will accommodate
older people with limited financial means. The laws were changed as at 1/7/2014 in order to
make it easier for those with limited means to be accommodated in an aged care home.
Good planning with assistance from an accredited aged care specialist will guide you
through this process.

3. Do I need to sell my home?

Not necessarily, you may be able to retain, rent or sell your home. Some people consider
aged care loans against their home. It is always important to seek the advice from an
accredited aged care specialist before making major decisions on the family home.

4. What if I don’t like the home I choose?

If you are unhappy with the home you have chosen, you simply need to supply the home
with a letter, giving them 7 day’s notice of your intention to leave and then move to the
new home. It is always wise to try to settle any issues you have with the aged care home
before moving.

5. Can I have a pet in an aged care home?

This will depend on the home. Some homes welcome small cats and/or dogs. Some homes
have resident cats, dogs, chickens, birds and goldfish. If having a pet is important to you,
discuss this with the home before you enter.

6. What is a RAD?

A RAD is a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD). This is effectively an interest-free
loan to an aged care provider to pay for accommodation and entitles you to live in the aged care home. Similar to a bond paid to a landlord for the use of a rental property.

7. Is my RAD financially secure?

Your RAD is guaranteed by the Australian Federal Government.

8. How much can I expect to pay for a RAD?

The average size RAD can vary in city and regional areas. It is not uncommon to see RADs in the vicinity of $300,000 - $550,000. The aged care homes need government approval to
charge more than $550,000.

9. What happens to my RAD if I leave?

Your RAD is transferrable and will be forwarded to your new home by your existing home.

10. What happens to my RAD should I pass away?

The aged care home has 14 days, after receiving probate form your executor, to pay the
balance of your RAD to your estate. Should they take longer than the 14 days, they will be required to pay interest of the full amount until paid.

Written by Paul Geisel - Accredited Aged Care Specialist


Attend our aged care education event

If you are considering aged care options for a family member and would like more information from the experts, we are holding an education event with an accredited Aged Care Specialist.